Archive

Archive for the ‘Strategic Rocket Forces’ Category

Solomonov comments on development of new warhead bus for ICBM’s

January 29th, 2011 Comments off

New warheads for intercontinental ballistic missiles developed in Russia may overcome any existing and future missile defense systems, Yury Solomonov said, the general designer at the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology said.

“In 2010 were carried out unique work that allow us to make an absolutely new step in creating a new type of combat equipment that is the result of integrating combat equipment of ballistic type and individual means of its separation, the so-called ‘bus’ at combat missiles,” Solomonov told Interfax-AVN.

“This will end all talks about our fight against a non-existing system of missile defense of an imaginary enemy,” he said.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Russia to commission new generation early warning radars in Kaliningrad & Irkutsk regions

January 29th, 2011 Comments off

Two new generation radar stations incorporated into Russia’s early warning system will be brought into operation in the Kaliningrad and Irkutsk regions, Russian Space Forces Commander Lt. gen. Oleg Ostapenko told journalists on Thursday.

“One of them is already performing certain duties in the Kaliningrad region. Analogous work is being done outside Irkutsk,” Ostapenko said when asked where else early warning radar stations will be built.

The stations being installed in the Kaliningrad and Irkutsk regions are almost identical to the so-called prefabricated radar stations already built in Lekhtusi, the Leningrad region, and Armavir, the Krasnodar territory, the differences will be slight.

It was reported earlier that the first prefabricated radar station Voronezh-M was built in Lekhtusi and another, Voronezh-DM, in Armavir.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Space, Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

New early warning radar going up in Siberia

January 5th, 2011 Comments off

Russia has started building a missile warning radar station in Siberia, the third in a series of new-generation radar stations, said the director of the Federal Special Construction Agency (Spetsstroi).

“Under the state armaments development program, we are carrying out a set of tasks to create a new generation of radar stations. Two of them, in Lekhtusi and Armavir, are in operation already. Work began not so long ago to build a third one in the vicinity of the town of Usolye-Sibirskoye in the Irkutsk region,” Maj. Gen. Nikolai Abroskin told Interfax-AVN.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Space, Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

The end of Dnepr

January 5th, 2011 Comments off

The Russian Defense Ministry does not think it expedient to carry on the Dnepr space program and will not assign a single RS-20 ‘Satan’ rocket for the program in 2011, an aerospace industry representative told Interfax-AVN on Thursday.

“Ten test and training launches of RS-12M ‘Topol’, RS-18 and RS-24 ‘Yars’ intercontinental ballistic missiles are planned for 2011. Meanwhile, there will be no RS-20 launches, including those in the Dnepr program,” he said.

He said the Defense Ministry called inefficient the disposal of RS-20B missiles in space launches. “It is much easer to scrap the missiles,” he said.

Earlier reports said that four Dnepr rockets would be launched from a launch site of the Dombarovskaya division of the Strategic Rocket Forces in the Orenburg region. A cluster launch of eight satellites, including Ukraine’s Sych 2 and BPA-2, Nigeria’s NigeriaSat-X and NigeriaSat-2, Turkey’s Rasat, U.S. AprizeSat-5 and AprizeSat-6 and Italy’s EduSat, was planned for the first quarter of 2011.

It was planned to launch the South Korean radar satellite KompSat5 in June-July. Two Dnepr launches were scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2011, including one to deliver the Mikhailo Lomonosov satellite and the cluster launch of several satellites, among them South Korean STSAT-3.

Cosmotrans international space company General Director Vladimir Andreyev told Interfax-AVN in September 2010 that the company hoped to use RS-20 missiles in the Dnepr space program until 2027. He said about 70 rockets would be launched.

The Russian-Ukrainian rocket Dnepr was based on the world’s most powerful delivery vehicle, RS-20 (NATO codename SS-18 ‘Satan’), with high thrust and reliability characteristics. The rocket weighs 211 tonnes, has the diameter of three meters and the length of 34.6 meters.

Sixteen Dnepr launches have been made since April 199, including twelve from Baikonur and four from the Orenburg region.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Space, Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Serdyukov dismisses threat from China’s growing nuclear arsenal

December 26th, 2010 Comments off

China’s and North Korea’s nuclear potentials cannot reach levels comparable to Russia’s or the U.S.’ in the foreseeable future, said Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.

“As for the nuclear potential, the Russian and American ones are simply incomparable with the potential possessed by the countries that you have mentioned. And it is impossible [for them] to reach some parity with Russia and America within the next decade,” Serdyukov said in reply to a question by a State Duma deputy asking how Russia would oppose the countries beefing up their nuclear forces, including China and North Korea.

“The potential of our nuclear forces is quite high,” he said.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Second RS-24 battalion comes online

December 17th, 2010 Comments off

The second battalion armed with the RS-24 Yars ICBM has been deployed as part of the Teikovo division in the Strategic Rocket Force, commander of the force Lt. Gen. Sergei Karakayev told the press on Friday.

The RS-24 ICBM has been designed by the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology employing R&D solutions earlier used in the Topol-M missile system which significantly reduced the time and expenses involved in its development.

The system is capable of carrying up to four nuclear warheads and it is deemed as a replacement for the MIRV missiles of previous generations – RS-19 (Stiletto) and RS-20 (Satan).

Three test launches of the RS-24 have been conducted since 2007 – in May and December 2007 and in November 2008. All of them were successful.

The first regiment with the ground mobile missile system entered test and combat duty at the beginning of 2010.

“Together with the single-warhead RS-12M2 Topol-M, both silo-based and mobile, these missiles will constitute the core of the strike grouping of the rocket force in the foreseeable future, until 2020,” Karakayev said earlier.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Duma ratifies Russian-Chinese missile launch notification pact

October 22nd, 2010 Comments off

The Russian State Duma on Wednesday ratified a Russian-Chinese intergovernmental agreement on the notification of each other’s impending ballistic missile and space rocket launches.Signed in Beijing in October 2009, the document foresees the creation of missile launch notification mechanisms in both countries.

The sides will notify each other of the launch of ballistic missiles whose flight range exceeds 2,000 km over the other’s territory, an explanatory note says.

The agreement specifies the terms and time framework of the notification and states that launch data exchange will be strictly confidential “to prevent possible emergencies”.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

“Surprise” combat-readiness checks to become more frequent in Strategic Rocket Forces

September 18th, 2010 Comments off

DATELINE: MOSCOW. Sept 17

The combat-duty system of the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces (RVSN) will be perfected, RVSN Commander Lt. Gen. Sergei Karakayev said on Friday.

“Combat duty stature ultimately determines the state of combat readiness in the Strategic Rocket Forces as a whole. It is becoming increasingly clear today that if the situation is to be improved, including in matters of combat duty, new measures should be taken,” Karakayev told the RVSN’s Military Council.

“The combat duty stature will remain the highest form for maintaining combat readiness, and the main type of work done by formations and units,” he said.

RVSN spokesman Col. Vadim Koval told Interfax-AVN that chief of the RVSN headquarters, RVSN Deputy Commander Lt. Gen. Ivan Reva, had presented a report on the current state of combat duty of the troops.

Reva said that the emergence of new conditions and factors over the past few years demands that control bodies at all levels seriously adjust their views on the principles of employing troops, on their combat readiness and on combat duty as the main form of maintaining combat readiness, the spokesman said.

“In order to see how matters really stand in the troops, an idea was proposed to make surprise checks on rocket divisions’ combat duty stature more frequent and to conduct such checks in half of the rocket formations as a minimum,” Koval said.

About 6,000 personnel are on combat duty daily at the RVSN’s combat posts in peacetime, according to the RVSN. This enables the forces on duty to keep the condition of nuclear weapons under uninterrupted control, to maintain its readiness with nuclear safety guaranteed, and to launch missiles when ordered.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Bulava missile’s first test launch in 2010 postponed by 2-3 weeks

August 10th, 2010 Comments off

DATELINE: MOSCOW Aug 9

Another test launch of the Bulava submarine-launched inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM) that was scheduled for mid-August has been postponed by at least two weeks, a source in the Russian defense industry told journalists on Monday.

“The launch has been postponed by two or three weeks. The State Commission held no meeting on this matter,” the source said, without giving the cause of the postponement.

This year’s first and the 13th consecutive test launch of the Bulava was due to take place between August 11 and 14. The State Commission was due to make the final decision on August 9.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Naval, Strategic Rocket Forces Tags:

Arbatov claims Russia sitting on stockpile of 10,000 warheads

July 8th, 2010 Comments off

DATELINE: MOSCOW July 6

The Russian nuclear arsenal has around 10,000 charges, Alexei Arbatov, the head of the Center for International Security of the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Institute of World Economy and International Relations said, citing open sources.

“Our nuclear arsenal, which according to published, open reports has 10,000 nuclear charges as a minimum, within the strategic and tactical forces, including those deployed and stockpiled – is an enormous renewable resource, which will last through 20-30 years of talks [on strategic arms reduction],” Arbatov said at parliamentary hearings on the new Russian-American strategic arms reduction treaty on Tuesday.

Arbatov said one should refrain from involving third countries in the talks on nuclear arms reduction.

“I would like to make a point, perhaps running a little ahead the events, that one should not hurry to enlarge the nuclear arms negotiating club. This should be handled with great care. While these talks are proceeding according to a long-tested pattern between Russia and the United States, other nuclear powers are playing a tertiary role.

If this club is enlarged in some way, Russia’s role would be significantly devalued,” he said.

“Therefore curbs must be promoted in relation to third nuclear powers, and no haste should be made to involve all of them in our talks with the United States,” Arbatov said in conclusion.

Source: Interfax-AVN

Categories: Strategic Rocket Forces Tags: